Saturday, October 11, 2008

November 13th, 2007: White Water Rafting and Bungy Jumping

So that morning, a few from the HUA group decided to go white water rafting in the river nearest to Queenstown. That was so much fun. On our boat, it was full of people from HUA, our guide, and two physicists from either Scotland or Ireland. The two odd balls were very stubborn and continually failed to listen to our guide. On one of the turns, they placed us sideways in a Class 3 rapid. Not cool,we nearly flipped. That was the second white water rafting trip I've don't with Harding. The first time was in Colorado on the Arkansas River that flows through the Royal Gorge.

After that, Scott and I has a sudden impulse to go Bungy Jumping. So we did. We jumped off of the Kawara(sp) Bridge. It is the first location in the world where someone bungy jumped. That was by far the scariest thing I've ever done. I do not know if I'll ever do that again. It was a thrill-thats for sure. Its not your everyday thing to jump off a bridge. I had issues. It took me like ten minutes to jump off. It wasn't the actually fall that scared me. It was the initial move and thought of letting going of the bridge when the water was screaming death to my face. But oh well...that was an inexperience in and of itself.

My Queenstown, NZ experiences were quite extensive. After bungy jumping, Scott and I went back to the hostel and grabbed our things. We then left with the rest of the group for Milford Sound. We went about half-way that night. We stayed in a little cabin near a lake for the night. There was a little town just down the road where we got hot chocolate and what not before settling in. It was a little chilly then and we were all exhausted. We did not venture too much in that town. We went to bed and got up early the next morning to go Milford Sound.

No comments: