Saturday, October 11, 2008

October 11th and 12th, 2007- Great Barrier Reef on the Sea & Ocean Quest

We left that morning for our two day trip on the reef. We boarded the Sea Quest and we were on our way. (Thankfully no one this time got sick). It was a 90 minute boat ride out to the reef. They we were able to scuba dive and snorkel. I snorkeled for about 20 minutes and then went back. I then went scuba diving. I’ve been scuba diving before in Cozumel, but the reef was completely different. It was crystal clear and fun. The first dive was with Jordan and Jennifer, our instructor was from Cuba. I dove again after lunch, except this time with Meagan and Jason. That was fun to. Here the photographer for Sea Quest found me and she took a photo of me with NEMO and Marlin! That was so cool, I totally bought that photo later. We then went back up and prepared to transfer to the Ocean Quest. That was larger boat that about 48 people for an overnight stay. There were 2 people per cabin, there was a tv, and there was a bathroom. Upstairs had a big screen T.V. and it was great. When we first boarded the Ocean Quest, we were given a briefing of all the activities on board the boat. They released us and soon thereafter we went diving again. This time the water was murky and once again different. But it was still cool to think “I’m breathing under water”. We came up and that was it for me diving that day. I rested a little and just relaxed. … watching the reef.  I was still absorbing the fact that I was on the famous Great Barrier Reef. We had dinner later that night and watched a few movies up on the big screen upstairs. We watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding & Last Holiday. Afterwards, I retired for the night. The next morning we were called bright and early to go diving. I believe it was six in the morning. The water was SO cold. I was definitely 100% awake after jumping in the water. This dive was in the same murky place BUT super special. I saw and swam with a real sea turtle, they same kind that were in the Finding Nemo movie. That was one of the coolest things ever. After that dive, dive number four, we went and had breakfast. I ate breakfast and about 30 minutes later they called all introductory divers for their final fifth dive. This dive was in the same location as our first dive the day before. We saw a wallaby and many other other species. We came up…had a rest and then went snorkeling. The last few dives were with Keith and Rebecca. We had lunch and then they asked us to prepare ourselves for transfer again, meaning to just pick up everything and clear out the room. We then watched Ice Age2 upstairs, transferred back to the Sea Quest, and left for/headed back to Cairns.
A) This trip allowed me to see what Australia is trying so hard to protect.
B) It helped me understand that there needs to be a happy medium/balance to the way we live our lives, especially when compared to the effect we can have on the creatures living in the reef. The reef is slowing dying and its all our fault. There are tons of projects to save the reef…but we all must & need to help.
C) We have nothing that compares to the Great Barrier Reef in the States
D) AWESOME! AMAZING! BREATHTAKING! SUPERCOOL!

No comments: